Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wednesday

Max is working on making a giant peanut out of clay. It's the visual for his school project, a report on George Washington Carver. Carver invented peanut butter!

I was observed today in one of my classes. It went fine and I'm glad it's over! We are talking about rhetorical analysis these days.

Olena Davis is reading here in March!

These days I notice bare trees with many birds congregating in them. I know robins don't migrate for the winter, but they seem to be returning from somewhere .

The two green canaries that I saw outside last summer a few times are still around. Last summer when I saw them I figured they had escaped from someone's cage and would not survive out of the cage for long. But this afternoon I saw them again. They were on a lawn with about fifteen robins. I called Michael and said, "the canaries are still alive!"

It seemed a hopeful sign.

3 comments:

Susan Denning said...

Yes well there is some controversy about that. The ancient Incas even had a form of peanut butter! But George Washington Carver made hundreds of things from peanuts. He also popularized peanut butter and peanut products in the 1880's; He never patented any of his inventions because he thought they were gifts from God.

SarahJane said...

roasted peanuts are also just plain good when you make nothing of them. in china they eat them boiled - and they're pretty good that way too, if fatter than we're used to.

i love olena davis, though her second book was kind of, um, a let-down? except for "six apologies, lord."

hey, we got a dog! i was thinking about your dog sweater... what was the verdict?

Le Plume said...

peanut butter? nah, that's one part of the American way of life I'm not into - I love good old cow milk butter (lightly salted) too much.