Saturday, October 01, 2005

A light in the moon the only light is on Sunday

Listening to Stan Getz. My husband is playing poker tonight.

The title of my posting is from Gertrude Stein (although it would make a good title for a Stan Getz song, I think). I've been reading about her in 21st Century Modernism: The "New" Poetics by Marjorie Perloff. Marjorie Perloff is a very amiable sort of critic, I think. I don't spend a lot of time with criticism, but I make an exception for Perloff. I believe it was Perloff who also made the comment about how long is the post part of modernism supposed to last? Is everything just POST from here on out? Well maybe she wasn't the first one to ask that, but I liked the way she did it.

And she turned me on to Frank O'Hara, which I will always be grateful for. Anyway, Perloff writes:
Miss Stein once said: Every masterpiece came into the world with a measure of ugliness in it. That ugliness is the sign of the creator's struggle to say a new thing in a new way, for an artist can never repeat yesterday's success.
That's an interesting thing to think about - when something is truly innovative, it probably looks more than a little unattractive, because it's never been seen before. So then aesthetics are shifted around a little, to give the previously unattractive a foot in the door? Or something. I like Stein. I wrote a poem a while back called "A sentence means that there is a future", which is another line of hers. Oh the Stein lines!

I bought a new scanner today and scanned the ATC shown in today's posting - I like the "LIVE" word. I have another ATC with the word "live" in it, maybe I'll do a series.

My son's team lost their football game today. Today it thundered and lightening-ed. I also bought a hair iron today. For straightening my hair. I don't have super curly hair, but the iron makes it lie very very flat.


The colchicum have begun to bloom - yes it happened that fast! My narcissus bulbs have put down roots - that fast - and have been moved to the bookcase. I planted three iris on Friday and some red tulips. I only planted three iris because they were a BONUS from the bulb company - a thanks for ordering gift! I think iris rhizomes look like big articulated insects.

Heard Rick Moody on NPR talking about his new book, which sounds like a bit of a Pynchon mess. I'm not sure if I"m up for it. Which is not to say it sounds bad, but I read an excerpt of it and felt slightly overwhelmed.

Walking ten miles tomorrow. The Portland Marathon is a week from tomorrow!

Getz is playing Moonlight In Vermont.

It's October. Be sure you have a warm coat Janine.

No comments: